Modification of Child Custody

One myth of divorce is that once a decree is issued it cannot be altered. Any provision involving child custody, child support, alimony unless non-modifiable, and violations of an order can trigger an adjustment due to changing circumstances. If this becomes necessary, the staff at the Waldorf-based Law Office of Marie Palmquist, LLC is well poised to uphold and defend your interests.

If circumstances do change, it is possible to alter an order to reflect the change in circumstances. Even though parties may have a verbal agreement regarding a change to the order, it is imperative to revise the existing order through court to ensure the changes are recorded and enforceable.

Considerations for modifying child custody and/or support can include:

  • Loss of job
  • Reduction in hours
  • Pay raise
  • Work promotion
  • Relocation
  • Medical emergency
  • Changing needs of the child
  • Relationship with siblings

The Law Office of Marie Palmquist, LLC will expend a great deal of effort to preserve and expand the relationship between you and your children. The attorney recommends a plan of action to enhance the possibility of garnering the client's desired outcome. The attorney, along with the professional staff, deals with your case with the utmost attention to details during every step. The entire staff is committed to supporting a client and treating a client's case as if it were their own.

Maryland Court Orders and Agreements

Child custody, visitation, and child support are always modifiable by a court. Separate agreements can be entered into without the assistance of counsel and then found to have "problems" such as not being specific or not identifying areas needing to be addressed. Alimony, unless identified as not modifiable by any court of law, may be revisited at a later date. Other orders which have been entered but are not being complied with because of changed circumstances can sometimes be modified to accommodate the changed circumstances. Our law office can assist in evaluating problems with current orders and how to best resolve the issue.

Contact the Law Office of Marie Palmquist, LLC at 301-843-7157 or complete the online contact form.